Sunday 24 June 2012

Done and Dusted.. For Now

I have bloody well done it. I can't tell you that I didn't enjoy it.. in fact I have loved it. The hard work starts now though and I am feeling a little bit nervous about tomorrow. So many choices, so many obstacles and so many CHOICES!!!

It is interesting the word "choice". Often it is attached with such battles and trepidation. Choice is such an existential concept, easy to understand and one that is the most powerful thing that each and every human being has. Its almost like a muscle that needs flexing to combat and strive against all of the learned and automatic behaviors we possess, unless of course those choices are all ready being helpful to us in the way we are living our lives, each and every day, hour, minute and second.

One thing that I learnt over the last two weeks is that conscious choice has been a helpful allie in the face of adversity. Too often in my busy life I have been guilty of just taking the easy option, with out taking time to consider the consequence of which path the easy option was taking me. And it is ironic that I took a similar journey nearly four years ago when I decided to stop smoking.

Like anything, conscious choice takes a bit of practice and you have to want to get to know your self in relation to what your doing and why you are doing it. In the last 14 days during the cleanse I had already decided months before starting, that I wanted to give my body and mind a bit of a food vacation, and a rest from the daily unhealthy routine I had been subjecting myself to. Practicing conscious choice really starts with the moments just before doing something and pausing a moment before acting, to see if it fits with what you are doing (over all speaking). If it doesn't then you can chose to either change the action or continue with the original action. Simple as.....

Tomorrow I am definitely practicing a conscious choice to eat meat (and i cant wait), to drink plenty of water, to be mindful in my interactions with people I meet in the day, to be grateful for everything that is good, bad, and indifferent, and the list of conscious choices I will commit too tomorrow, goes on and on. Some of the choices I make how ever, will be automatic and thats just they way it is aye?

On a couple of notes on the last 14 weeks.. I said I was going to post some before and after measurements of me, and unfortunately I completely forgot. I can tell you though that I have shed a little under 4kg s, my jeans are telling me I may need a new pair that actually fit. I need a new belt too which is pleasing. I am definitely experiencing a better level of energy, and as a consequence feel like I have been more productive, spending less time on the couch and more time keeping things going, and getting schtuff done.

I said yesterday that I was going to post some links to some web sites and that, the first one I have found useful has been this one.  If you can get passed the American cheese and get through the trailer, I think you ill find the movie an interesting watch. It certainly piqued my interest to start investigating what I have been eating and what I could potentially be eating and what my body could be missing out on. More links will follow in the next few days

The absolute best thing I have gained from my 2 weeks health experiment is that I have rekindled my love affair with nutritious, healthy food. That has to be good for not only me but my family too. I am going to have a couple of days off the writing the blog thing so I promise to post something on Wednesdayso see you then.  Oh yeah and the wonderful Kauia will be starting a blog soon too.. She has some amazing ideas and I am eternally grateful to her for sharing with me, her brilliant food knowledge and ideas. Could you have a brilliant Monday please? would ya? Please..

No comments:

Post a Comment